Stay up to-date with news on our equipment, support, company and more!
8 Tips To Prepare Your Forklift For The Bitter Winter Weather
Prepare yourself and your equipment because Old Man Winter is coming. Don’t let the wintry weather freeze your operations. It is important to winterize your forklifts and other material handling equipment to make sure your fleet is ready to thaw the freeze. Winter is a peak time for productivity for many businesses. So why risk avoidable equipment breakdowns and lost productivity when you can prevent them?
Winter weather can and will wreak havoc on your forklift fleet if precautions are not taken. Winters are harsh on forklifts and operators, but when proper preparation and maintenance is performed your business will profit from unnecessary mechanical failures and lost production.
How Prepared Are You? General Tips For Winterization of Your Forklifts:
- Cold winter weather is harsh on your equipment’s batteries. Have your batteries and charging systems checked by a certified battery technician for optimum performance.
- Check for any warning lights, and inspect work light and tail lights to ensure they are operating properly.
- Clean out, flush cooling system and add new antifreeze.
- If your equipment is ready for a tune-up, do it before winter sets in.
- Inspect lift truck braking system to ensure it is working properly.
- Inspect exhaust system for carbon monoxide leaks.
- Check tire pressure and tire tread depth. Consider special tires when using in snowy areas.
- Have your technician change oil and check fuel, air, transmission and hydraulic filters all at the same time.
Take action now and let Shoppa’s help you winterize your forklift fleet and other material handling equipment today. Call the Shoppa’s Material Handling location nearest you to find out more about winterizing your lift trucks and getting set up on a planned maintenance program.